Monday, May 2, 2011

House Bill 15: Sonogram before abortion

Tomorrow the final vote for house bill 15 will take place. This bill states that women who are wanting to undergo a abortion will have to have a sonogram 24 hours before the abortion. Since its birth the bill has taken many changes to its original form including that women who live in rural areas will not have to wait 24 hours to have an abortion due to transportation issues, also women will be given descriptions of the development of the embryo or fetus and have a chance to listen to the heartbeat. Women also have the option to forego the description of the embryo or fetus and forgo the audio of the heartbeat.

I personally do not agree with the idea of abortions but I also do not believe my opinion should have an effect on another person’s choice. This bill is a way for politicians to hinder the abortion process due to personal opinions on the matter, so as I do not condone abortions I never believe it is right for people to use politics to inflict their opinion onto someone else. I think informational services should be present as an optional choice for the mother but if a woman wants to blindly walk into an abortion they should have that choice. Many women who have abortions develop in later years severe depression and I think making this process so intimate for the mother and potential child would just add to this problem. And that’s how I feel.

No comments: